Sunday, April 18, 2010

DC Film Festival

I know I've talked about E Street Cinema before, and I'm happy to reaffirm how much I love that place: I love it!  Right now it's the DC Filmfest, and E Street is one of the participating theaters.  Since I'm both a movie buff and a foreign language/culture buff, I'm all about seeing as many of these movies as I can!  Here are the films I've seen so far, their English titles, and the countries they're from.  Synopses from IMDB:

Un prophète (A Prophet) - France.  A young Arab man is sent to a French prison where he becomes a mafia kingpin.
VINCERE (Win) - Italy.  The story of Mussolini's secret lover, Ida Dalser, and their son Albino.
L'affaire Farewell (Farewell) - France.  The French intelligence service alerts the U.S. about a Soviet spy operation during the height of the Cold War, which sets off an unfortunate chain of events.
Kasi az gorbehaye irani khabar nadareh (No One Knows About Persian Cats) -  Iran.  Iranian musicians Negar and Ashkan look for band members to play at a London concert ... and the visa that allows them to leave Tehran to do so.

I would recommend them all very highly, though I think my favorite was L'affaire Farewell.  I love that spy kinda stuff, and the fact that this one had French and Russian, had an incredibly compelling story, and even had some well known American actors made it an absolute winner.  Go see it!

Additionally, my friend and I are seeing the film I Killed My Mother, a Canadian flick this Wednesday at the Canadian Embassy!  How cool is that?!?  I'm devoting a separate post to that, cause it's super cool.

Send me emails!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu
<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment