Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rooftop Musings

Another simple joy of spring is that the Strong Hall roof is open! 

Yes, I live in Strong Hall, the all-girls dorm.  It’s safe to say that I wasn’t exactly tickled with the idea of living with all girls, all the time, but I’ve become used to it.  And I found myself a solid group of friends who likewise thought that living in Strong was a death sentence for Freshman girls.  But there certainly are perks to Strong, one of which being our central location on campus, which is of course very useful.  But better yet is our lovely roof!  It’s open in the fall until Thanksgiving, and then in the spring after Spring Break.  Since then, I’ve been up almost every day, soaking in the sun and having outdoor dinners with my friends and finding any excuse to enjoy the nice little terrace we got  up there.

And it has a great view of ol' George!  (The Washington Monument.)  I refer to him & his monument by first name.  I mean, I go to his school, I think we have at least that kind of familiarity!

Other halls with roof access: 
JBKO (my future residence!) - Sophomores
Munson - Sophomores
1959 E Street - Juniors & Seniors

But here’s the thing: Strong won’t be an open residence hall next year, it’s going to be transformed into sorority housing.  So instead, the all-girls hall will be 2109 F Street.  There was a whole big to-do since many girls seek single-sex housing for religious reasons, but finally they came up with a compromise.  Problem solved!  And that’s all I’ve got to say about that.  Also, I am writing this blog on the roof!  Craziness!

Sooooooo email me!
ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment