Monday, April 12, 2010

Things I Don't Believe In: Microwaved Eggs

So I was flipping through the March issue of College Magazine, minding my own business, and an article leapt out at me so I'm sharing it with all of you. If you don't know anything about College Magazine, let me tell you a little bit about it. College Magazine covers events, news, sports, entertainment, and basically anything college kids care about in the DMV area. It caters to 9 colleges, GW, Georgetown, American, University of Maryland, John Hopkins, Loyola, UMBC, Towson and Goucher. But I digress...as I was saying before, I was minding my own business when this article leapt out at me. The article is called...and I quote "The Microwave Gourmet Chef." And the tagline makes the situation even worse: "No Stove? No Problem!" I don't know about you, but no stove sounds like a problem to me if we're talking about eggs.

My personal rendering of microwaved eggs...the little dots are samonella floating around in the eggs:



Ladies and gentleman...this is just gross. I know college is a time where we're filling our heads with all the things we need to know to make it in the world so its hard to think beyond that...but it doesn't take that much to get yourself a skillet and make your eggs in a pan. Cooking utensils are really cheap at Ikea...and Ikea is not far enough that you should be willing to make this. If you're really feeling lazy, do yourself a favor and buy yourself breakfast. I present to you exhibit A, the recipe in the article:


The "Egg MICmuffin" Recipe
"This may sound like a salmonella disaster waiting to happen, but you can in fact cook eggs in the microwave. Just crack 2 eggs into a microwavable bowl, add a splash of milk and mix well. Top it off with shredded cheese. Cook for about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Then throw it on an English muffin to eat on the go."

"You can" does not mean you should. This sounds like a salmonella disaster waiting to happen because IT IS. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT replicate this.

The insanity of the article continued with a few more recipes, though the rest weren't nearly as bad, which is to say some things can be made in the microwave (like bean dip or lean cuisines) but most things should not be. You can check out the rest of the recipes at collegemagazine.com if you look under the Downloads on the left-hand side of the site...but you really shouldn't. I might have to make a three-course meal just to make up for the trauma I'm experiencing.

Til' Next Time


Gimme, Gimme, Gimme your questions: magalae@gmail.com

Ekiria

1 comment:

  1. love the drawing. too funny! and i have to agree, the few times i've had eggs from a microwave it turned into either an explosion or just a smelly undercooked mess.

    - Shireen

    ReplyDelete