Monday, April 26, 2010

Spring Break...Egypt!

My spring break recounts may be a tad late, though I'll post about my trip nonetheless! Unlike most spring breaks across America that are only a week long, LSE's spring break is nearly seven weeks long...how absurd is that?? During this time, British university students study for nearly ten hours a day in preparation for exams. While I should've been doing the same, my friends and I spent those weeks traveling and exploring the UK. My most memorable trip was to Egypt, of which I'll share below...
 
There was much anticipation driving into Cairo, similar to that of Manhattan, with all the billboard signs, flashing lights, bustling roads, and the promise of a crazy city ahead. Our first night in Cairo was spent in a hotel along the Nile. The Nile! I can't imagine describing feeling of stepping out on the balcony with its panoramic view of the river and the twinkling lights of Giza...oh the smell, the sounds, the heat--full of escape and discovery. The next morning we went to see The Pyramids, The Sphinx, and had an amateur camel ride in a few back alleys, classy hah!
 
The following days were a whirlwind of sights and sounds as we left the pandemonium of the city and the landscape turned barren. A 12 hour hellish bus ride to Aswan led us to Abu Simbel, a Nubian Village, Felucca Boat Ride. Then we had a 6 hour ride to Luxor for the Valley of the Kings, Hapshetsut Temple, Luxor Temple, etc. Our final days were spent in Cairo and Alexandria where we had a bit more freedom to explore the Souks and to take in Egypt on our own.
 
If only my meager recounts could do my trip justice! I had a smashing time Egypt, especially since I went with 10 of my close LSE friends. My favorite city is Luxor, mostly because I was able to go inside the historic sites and see the intricate hieroglyphics.

I had a wonderful time in Egypt, GW actually has a study abroad (fall, spring, academic year) program for students in conjunction with The American University in Cairo. A friend of mine who attends Cornell participated in the program and thoroughly enjoyed her experience and learning Arabic.

Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment