Tuesday, April 13, 2010

GW Fellowships


Today I went to the GW Fellowship Luncheon where I presented research findings based off the project I created during my study abroad in Costa Rica.  I presented on how the change in communication technologies is affecting transnational advocacy campaigns by human rights groups.   

One aspect about university life that you may not have heard much about is undergraduate fellowships and awards.  They are provided through the individual majors departments, the individual colleges, and the university as a whole.  These prizes are great things to pursue because they provide funding for projects that may have been difficult to perform otherwise.
I would not have been able to stay in Costa Rica as long as I did without the support of the Columbian College.

Another important aspect is the relationship that you can create with a professor while designing and performing the study.  Through the Dean’s Scholars in Globalization, I had a chance to study under Professor Livingston who completely changed how I look at life and what I think is important.  When I started as a freshman, I knew that I was interested in politics and from there he alerted me to the many human rights abuses occurring worldwide. 

I was instantly enamored when I heard about the case of the dictator Augusto Pinochet in Chile, who was held in Britain for charges brought by a Spanish Judge. 

Freshman year, I had the opportunity to visit Chile and witness the change of that society first hand --paid for by GW.  As I prepare to plan my senior thesis, I hope to revisit these themes and hopefully some of those places!      

No comments:

Post a Comment