Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lesson #002: Colonial Army is one way Colonials showcase their Colonial Pride. #gwulove


Lesson #002: Colonial Army is one way Colonials showcase their Colonial Pride. #gwulove


Good day, buff and blue Colonials! On Tuesday, I was given the superbly unbelievable news that I will officially be the Colonial Army Vice-President of Marketing and Outreach for the 2012-2013 academic year! I’m sure you’re wondering what Colonial Army is. In short, between November and February, it’s essentially my life (on top of academics, sleeping, and breathing). My boss at the Office of Parent Services, the Senior Executive Director Rodney Johnson, jokes that it’s an alternate life of its own, taking me from professional, focused office student assistant to loud, screaming, energetic GW athletics fan.


This past year's Co-President, Courtnay Oddman, poses for a picture in some of her buff and blue gear beside the Colonial Army banner in the Smith Center.
Whenever I come in contact with people and tell them about Colonial Army, I tell them about the 1,000+ new members we have each year. I tell them about the tailgates, t-shirts, and road trips. More than anything, I tell them about the Colonial family, face paint, and front-row fun! In the past 2 years, I've had terrific times with CARMY and, in particular, my fellow Colonials. Even administrators get in on the fun; Associate Dean of Students Tim Miller (easily followed on Twitter at @GWTimMiller) sat front row with Colonial Army this past February and President Steven Knapp is one of the more notable fans, though Wolf Blitzer, Kerry Washington, and the First Family have been known to make the occasional appearance.


(In the thumbnail: President Obama shakes hands with current GW Basketball star Dwayne Smith.)

Whether volleyball or basketball, swim, squash, or soccer, I've been in attendance, proudly sporting my GW paraphernalia, in the presence of classmates, residence hall neighbors, and GWU brothers and sisters.

Regardless of personal interests, Colonials come together through Colonial Army (@GWColonialArmy), GW Sports (@GW_Sports), enticing events put on by The Residence Hall Association (@gwrha) and Program Board (including Spring Fling this Sunday), and an endless assortment of events which bring us together as products of the storied city of the District of Columbia as well as of the legacy of George Washington himself.

The First Ladies Dance Team, Colonial Brass, and others, including me in the tri-corner hat, cheer on the GW Men's Basketball team as they exit the metro following the massive metro ride the team took with Colonial Army members, coaching staff, and others to their BB&T Classic game at the Verizon Center.

Colonial Army is just one of a number of ways GW students showcase their Colonial Pride, as you'll see in my blog posts in the coming year. I definitely can't wait for you to share in it (I'm talking to you Class of 2016!).

In the interim, continue to "RAISE HIGH"!

Stay spirited,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment