Monday, April 30, 2012

Lesson #006: There is no “funk” like Capital Funk.



Lesson #006: There is no “funk” like Capital Funk.

Good evening, buff and blue Colonials. I’m about to present to you a fairly unique blog. In my five previous blog posts, I have written about experiences that involved walking around (see: Chalk-In), sitting (see: Excellence in Student Life Awards), standing still (see: Spring Fling/A Capella performances), and jumping up and down (see: Colonial Army). For the first time, I am going to write about something a bit more active and, potentially, even more fun. I am not just writing about “fun”. I am writing about “funk”, but not just any “funk”. I am writing about “Capital Funk”.

Yesterday evening, for the second year in a row, I attended Capital Funk’s Annual Hip Hop Showcase, by the name of “Funk Academy”. Capital Funk is a hip hop dance crew which has electrified GWU from campus to campus and from event to event. In the past 3 weeks alone, Capital Funk won "Best Choreography" at GW's Represent dance competition as well as a Excellence Award for Performance Group of the Year. In fact, the performance was preceded by the following video, which is absolutely hilarious: http://vimeo.com/41232716

After that, the performance began. Naturally, I captured video of it for all of you. Here is Capital Funk’s full opening performance.

The Showcase itself was not all about Capital Funk. Drew Law, Kevin Norchi and Jared Stokes, Ryan Thornton (of the GW Vibes), and Culture Shock DC were only the tip of the iceberg in regard to quality talent at the event. My personal favorite performer brought in for the show was Drew Law, who performed spoken word as well as a heart-felt poem chronicling his relationship with an ex-lover. Even in lieu of that, it is extraordinary to witness the dexterity, which a group like Capital Funk must have in order to plan out a performance, as well as the bodily command it takes to execute the maneuvers performed by the team when the lights turn on and it is “show-time”.

This is Drew Law (@drewlawdmv) captured via iPhone. The real thing is much more sharp and prolific!

All in all, “CFunk” once again stunned the crowd, made even more incredible by that fact that a lot of the attendees, like me, had seen Capital Funk perform before. In fact, my favorite routine is the following one. I have probably watched this a dozen times (on top of seeing it like), start to finish. It just goes to show that it’s probably not possible to get sick of Capital Funk.


On the dance floor, in the classroom, on the court or field, I encourage you to “get it”, future Colonials (just like CFunk)!

STAY SPIRITED,
Matt

P.S. I would encourage you to spend some time looking up Capital Funk. You will not regret it.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    The theme of your blog is very beautiful and the article is written very well, I will continue to focus on your blog.

    ReplyDelete