Saturday, April 21, 2012

Filmfest DC

Each year I write about the DC International Film Festival that takes place annually in April, but this year's extra special.  Not only have I seen several movies, but I'm a Filmfest Volunteer this year!

Volunteering means you work two 6-hour shifts (you can choose from 2 weeks worth of days to work).  You also get to see one movie for free, drop-in on the movies you work during, and go to the closing reception for free.  This year's reception is at the French Embassy.  I'm super excited, that's going to be really fun to go to.  I'll write a SEPARATE post about that one, and with pictures too!

It's a really fun and easy gig, and it's got great perks!  It's cool to be around people who love international movies as much as I do, I met some very cool people there.  The theaters we work at are E Street Cinema, The Goethe Institute, The Naval Heritage Center, and Regal Cinemas at Gallery Place (all of these are downtown, Chinatown/Metro Center area), and lastly Avalon Theatre in Friendship Heights.  The downtown theaters are easiest to get to, in fact E Street isn't a far walk from campus, but Avalon and the Naval Heritage Center are the coolest.  Avalon is a cute art house theater in a super-nice residential area, and the NHC has a museum-y vibe.  

The festival is just about over for this year, but stay tuned to this website for next year's films and when to sign up for volunteering!

And email me with questions and comments and all!  shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment