Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Greetings from DC!

Hi Colonials! My name is Alexa Woods and I am a junior in the Elliott School of International Affairs, doubling majoring with economics. Before GW, I had lived all 18 years of my life on a farm in southern Maryland. Despite its proximity, moving to DC was a huge contrast and I clearly remember the thought: wow, I am going to live in the city, a few blocks from the White House with the National Mall as a backyard. And frankly, three years later I have to admit, it doesn’t get much better than this. 
As a city, people label Washington by its tourist sites and impressive history, yet there is so much more to discover. Freshman year you may want to stay in your bubble or only venture places with a big group of friends. I challenge you now however, to take a walk to Dupont Circle on Sunday afternoon and buy fresh vegetables at the farmer’s market, or get to know the music scene on U Street one weekend. Start taking advantage of this city now because before you know it, you are just about a senior and are left wondering where college went! 
In terms of on-campus activities, I am a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon which is a professional foreign service sorority. My fellow blog writer and roommate Marisa Westbrook is also a sister! :) We basically mesh professional and social events, hosting various speakers throughout the year on topics related to foreign policy. Additionally, I spent the past summer and fall semester abroad through the GW Latin America program. I took a language intensive 6 week spanish course in San José, Costa Rica beginning June 1st and then traveled to Buenos Aires, Argentina in mid-July. I was directly enrolled at the Universidad Torcuato di Tella and took all of my classes in Spanish, alongside Argentine and other international students. Although having lectures in spanish was super beneficial to improving my language skills, I’d have to say that traveling was the best thing I did while abroad. I jumped at every opportunity to leave the city and travel through the diverse landscape of Argentina, crossing the border of the Andes Mountains in Chile, or the backpacking down the coast of neighboring Uruguay. Studying abroad is most definitely something to look forward to at GW, as so many students study around the world each semester. 
I personally chose to attend GW because of the opportunity to participate in the Women’s Leadership Program as a freshman. It is a first year living and learning community in which you take two classes each semester with the same group of women engaged in a common subject, while also living in the same residence hall. With the focus of US and International Politics in my specific cohort, each week we had symposiums that allowed us to meet powerful and inspiring women in the professional field. I also had the opportunity to form a strong relationship with my professors, while being taught to research and write from an analytical perspective. 
Yes, I could have gone to my state school and probably would have been really happy; but not for a minute do I regret my decision to attend GW. I have met so many incredible people and have been able to adventure in one of the best cities in the world. Good luck with all of your upcoming decisions and I hope to see you on-campus in the fall! 

No comments:

Post a Comment