Friday, April 20, 2012

Pictures From This Year’s Cherry Blossoms!

Before I get to the main focus of my post, last weekend, my team and I traveled to Maryland in their spring volleyball tournament, where we played UMD, Villanova, and American. We did not play as well as we did the week before, but we are using it as a learning tool. Throughout the day, we played well at times and at other times we struggled, but since then, we have had 4 wonderful days of practice, so we are all excited to travel to James Madison University this weekend to compete against them. Wish us luck!

Now for the main reason for my post—my visit to the gorgeous Cherry Blossoms. As you may know, a few weeks ago was the 100th annual Cherry Blossom Festival along the Tidal Basin here in DC. And like usual, the festival was stunning and brought thousands of visitors to DC to wander the National Mall and take in all of the gorgeous sights. This year I walked the few blocks with two of my friends who also were willing to brave the crowds and ended up making it a 3 hour excursion. We walked from campus, to the Lincoln Memorial, to the Tidal Basin, and then we just went where our feet took us, which included making a stop at the slightly out of the way Jefferson Memorial. Neither of my friends who I went with had seen the Cherry Blossoms nor had they been to the Jefferson Memorial, so we were able to check those things off of their DC bucket lists. By the time we were done walking, we ended up making a complete loop around, ending back at the Lincoln Memorial and traveling back to campus. If you have been to the area and have walked this path, you may be wondering why it took 3 Division I college athletes 3 hours to make this trip. Well, we had 3.5 hours worth of practice and weights that morning, so we were actually quite tired, stopping several times along the way and spending a great deal of time sitting on benches, entertaining ourselves with people watching.

Every year since I have been attending GW, I have made an effort to go to the Cherry Blossoms and every year they are just as beautiful as the last, possibly more so. They mark the beginning of spring and remind me that summer is just around the corner.

We took a lot of pictures, probably too many, so I tried to choose my favorites of the bunch. Enjoy!

Feel free to email me with any questions! cbgraf@gwmail.gwu.edu

-Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment