Thursday, January 14, 2010

Year Long Abroad

 I thoroughly enjoyed my first two years at GW--from having internships to holding executive positions on student organizations to exploring all that DC has to offer aside from academics, I loved it all. Since Freshmen year I knew that I wanted to study abroad, whether I knew where or how long then was still unanswered.

Having never been outside of the continental US, I had an incredible opportunity to pursue an intensive language program in Beijing for 4 months. Towards the end of my trip and my return to the US, I found that 4 months was not adequate time to truly experience a culture and its people. As a GW Business student in the Accountancy program, I didn't expect to study abroad again as this is a very demanding major with quite specific graduation requirements. Regardless, I sought my adviser, created a 3 year plan, and  miraculously was able to study abroad Junior year.

Knowing that 4 months for me was not enough, I began researching year-long study abroad programs and came upon The London School of Economics General Course program. Going in, I wanted to focus on my major: Accounting. I wanted a rigorous quantitative learning experience taught by prominent researchers and professors within the field. I applied in December, was notified of my acceptance in April, and departed for London in October.

With a 5 month summer break filled with work, study, and play I was ready to leave the US and begin studying again---who knew one would consider such a thought! During my time abroad, I'll be sharing my experiences: travel stories, cultural and academic differences, what I do on a daily basis, and why I still love GW and can't wait to return.

Send me comments!

Serena Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment