Sunday, January 31, 2010

My SO GLAD TO BE BACK Blog!

SooOooOoooOoOoo!!!!!

I promise, I'll never do that again.  But I had an exciting (and INCREDIBLY tiring) weekend!  And I'd love to share the details with you!

On Friday night, I went home, though I really only got a short while to spend with my parents and my dog!  Which is sad, but I enjoyed our time anyway--I got to have some home-cooked food, and my mama, being the fantastic woman that she is, made one of my favorite dishes!  Also, my dad recently got back from a trip to Iran to visit family, and got me presents and Persian sweets!  Weeeeeeeee!  Can't beat that.

Then on Saturday afternoon, I went upstate a ways (upstate NY, that is) with one friend from home who isn't back at college yet, and we visited our other friend at her school.  It was so interesting seeing their college and how things were run there.  It's a whole different world!  Their school was very campus-y, and just about everything they do is within the campus.  You need a car to get ANYWHERE, and not having one up there makes things SO TOUGH.  Otherwise they have to take cabs, which ends up costing quite a bit!  It made me so grateful to live in the heart of a city, and with public transportation so accessible and affordable!

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my time, meeting my buddy's new friends, and seeing what it was like at a different school.  It's DEFINITELY a different culture, which is cool.  But you have to find which one you fit into best, and seeing their school made me sure that I found my niche, and thank goodness for that.  Also, it wasn't snowing up there, while DC got pelted with the wet white stuff!  That was a blessing, cause getting up there from DC and coming back was already VERY DIFFICULT.  Coming back today was excruciating, it was like 7-1/2 hours altogether.  I could have gotten to Europe in that time!

So as a result of my newfound sentiments of thankfulness for public transportation (particularly the Metro), I've decided that this semester, I'm going to start to really explore where I can get on the Metro.  I'll just hop on, get off somewhere random, and explore the area for whatever they've got there!  And of course I'll blog about it so that all of you can find out all the cool happenings my friends and I will be getting ourselves into!

I think I'm done for now!  And keep emailing, I love reading 'em!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment