Friday, January 29, 2010

How to Find a Job: Work-Study

        Picture this: You've gotten into GW, everything is set and in motion. You're registered for classes, your flight is booked, and then you receive some disturbing news: Mom and Dad can't fund your extracurricular activities. It is a recession, and for more and more students this is becoming a reality. Thankfully you have a getting hired "expert" right here. I've worked at GW four years, and to be honest, I kind of stumbled into my first job (But now you don't have to! Yay!). Freshman year I was Office Assistant in the Department of Romance Languages, Sophomore and 1st semester Junior year I worked for the An Bryce Foundation (which was on-campus and work-study), and now I am the Office Assistant in the English Department. The most important thing to think about when you're looking for a job is figuring out what you are looking for. Here are some good questions to ask yourself:

Am I just looking for a job to start out and make some money, or am I looking for professional development? What connections am I making?

Do I mind if the position is unpaid?

Do I have work-study?

What kind of job do I want? (internship/regular job/work-study)

*Personally, I couldn't afford to work for free, so I took advantage of my work-study eligibility. Work-Study is basically a situation in which your check is subsidized, so basically the government pays half and your employer pays the other half. These are the easiest kind of jobs to find on campus (but don't worry, there are other options, but that's for my next blog!). A good place to start is in a department of the University, maybe even the department associated with your major. Generally speaking, these are low-key jobs where you can do your homework while you work. Almost every part of the University has students working in it, so a good way to start is to figure out where you want to work and (professionally!) ask if they are hiring. I found out about the English Department job over an email that was sent to me over a the Department's listserv. Working there allowed me to be on the forefront of everything that happened in my major. I always knew when and where everything was, and who to ask if I didn't know. One of my friends is a Biology major and she recently got a job where she gets to carry out experiments in a lab on-campus. However, a lot of people work in random departments, like I did my freshman year. I even know a History major that works in the Engineering/Applied Sciences Department, so don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. All student departmental jobs are work-study, no exceptions. Departments are not the place to look if you don't have work-study.
        
*If you check on GWork, a job-search and networking website for GW students and alumni, a lot of organizations that are not affiliated with GW offer work-study jobs. This is a good alternative to the unpaid internship for students who can't afford to have an unpaid position. From a quick look on GWork I found open work-study jobs at the Peace Corps headquarters as well as various non-profits and organizations around the city. Because so many organizations are based in D.C. there are a lot of job opportunities available here that you can't get anywhere else. GWork is a great place to look for both work-study and non work-study jobs, and some organizations (like the An Bryce Foundation) are willing to hire both.
          
*The Office of Community Service offers a lot of information about both volunteer opportunities as well as work-study opportunities geared towards community service and development. My job at the An Bryce Foundation was organized through an initiative called Neighbors Project which was started by the Office of Community Service. Aside from being an enriching experience, working with An Bryce gave me the opportunity to get an awesome job working with kids the summer after they hired me.

*The Library is a good place to get a job because it's very conducive to doing homework. My friend Harriet worked in the Media Center there, and the traffic was always very low, so she had a lot of time to read and finish last minute assignments. But library jobs go very quickly, so if you think you want to work there, you need to apply as soon as possible after you get on-campus. I know this because I've never been able to get a library job, but now that you know this, hopefully you'll have better luck than me. As far as I know, the library focuses on hiring work-study students.
          
*Another good place to look is Admissions. I say this because admissions hires a lot of people because of the sheer volume of work they have to accomplish. This is not solely a work-study job, so if you don't have work-study, this might be a good opportunity for you. Admissions is a  good place to start your working life at GW because they have flexible hours and it's a good way to get started if you want  any kind of administrative job on campus. In addition Admissions has summer job opportunities and working at Admissions makes them easier to take advantage of.

If you're having trouble getting hired, don't hesitate to ask questions. As I said before, almost every part of the University hires students help them run effectively. Now don't you feel needed? Email me if you have any questions: magalae@gmail.com

'Til next time,

Ekiria

No comments:

Post a Comment