Sunday, January 24, 2010

Religion at GW

I wouldn't call myself a religious person in any way, shape, or form, but I have reverence and respect for the religion I was raised in (and of course all others), and I go to mass once in a blue moon.  I consider myself more spiritual and less attracted to a rigid organized religion--but enough about my views!  Here's the story behind this post:

Last night, my friend asked me if I wanted to go to church in the morning, and I'm like, "Uhhhhh... sure?"  I felt bad saying no, cause it's church! and I couldn't turn down a friend who wanted to feel a little holier--God knows we all need to be a bit holier sometimes.  (Hah--I didn't even mean to mention God just now.  It kinda just happened!)

But I also didn't want to wake up at 8:30 on a Sunday.  However, I did.  And I was proud of myself.  Not just for waking up and walking to church in the rain on a cold yucky morning, but because I went to church!  In college!  Not at home because my mother is making me!  That shows dedication, I think!  Also, since I was already up, I had the whole day ahead of me to figure out everything before the school week started.  It was great!

I feel like this isn't going to be a regular thing, but for when I do need to recharge my Jesus battery, it's good to know I can.


Of course, I recognize that not everyone at GW is Catholic or Christian, so I figured add a blurb about religious centers at GW in general.  Among the most popular that I know of are the Newman Catholic Center, the Muslim Students Association, and Hillel.  But of course they're not the only religious groups on campus, through GW, or in the area.  Do your research, there's resources for whatever you believe in all over DC, and in our neighborhood, too.  Also, they all have really fun events throughout the year--and you don't HAVE to be of the faith to go!  Believe me, I've gone to more than my fair share of Hillel and MSA and other events!

Now, I haven't gotten any emails in a while, have y'all forgotten about me?  I hope not.  If you wanna say hello, drop a message at shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu
~~~  Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment