Saturday, January 30, 2010

Warm Thoughts with #25

25. Go on spring break with your friends.

Before I write about previous spring break trips, I want to let you all know that it is SNOWING in Washington, DC right now!!! It's really coming down. We are expecting between 1 and 4 inches today--and of course it's Saturday so no snow day. I can only hope that this will continue till Monday...

But for those of you in the Washington DC area (or anywhere it's cold for that matter), let's think warm thoughts. As a senior, I have had three college spring breaks so far, two of which did not include me going home to New Jersey. As fun as that was (no, seriously, it was fun), I had a great trip to North Carolina the following year. 

One of my friends, Liz, is from Charlotte and has a beach house in Sunset Beach, NC. Her dad was nice enough to drive up to DC and leave her a car for us to drive down. Then I drove my car down from New Jersey and we took two carloads down. I must have had class or something on that Friday because my car left DC around 3:30, which in retrospect, I would not have done. We didn't get to the house until after midnight--needless to say, traffic was pretty bad. While it wasn't exactly hot in Sunset Beach, it was warm enough and we did the best we could to get some sun. My friend Amy and I tried to tan on the roof, but it didn't work out too well:



For the week we visited Sunset Beach, we mostly slept in, went to the beach, went bike riding, and hung out at Liz's adorable little beach house. We took a day trip to Charleston, which was beautiful and a lot of fun. It was the perfect mix of doing nothing but having the best time with your closest friends, and of course, sunny weather.

Last year, I was abroad in Sevilla, Spain and we had two week long breaks, and I traveled for both, but those can be a whole other blog (and in fact were on our old blog). This year, my three friends and I have planned a trip to Costa Rica! It will actually be warm there and I hope we'll end up laying out on sandy beaches rather than roof shingles. The important thing is that we'll be together and nothing can make a better spring break than that--except maybe glorious beaches, snorkeling, surfing, cheap food, and speaking Spanish for a whole week! That's the beach close to our hotel in Esterillos Oeste:
I'm so pumped for spring break! I hope everyone is enjoying winter right now--or at least trying to-- and can look forward to their spring break trips to a warm destination. But if not, for now you can at least think warm thoughts.

--Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment