Saturday, January 16, 2010

What can I actually do with an English Major...Musings on avoiding an anxiety attack.

            So it's second semester senior year and the pressure is on. Among other things, I'm trying to get hired. Please. Someone. Anyone. Hire me!
           All jokes aside, senior year is a time when I feel like everyone is figuring out what to do and what your degree really means. As my mom often puts it, "Now that you know how to think, you can start to get educated." A bachelor's degree is like a small stop on the way to much bigger things. Of course, if you're like me, all the possibilities these "bigger things," present are overwhelming. But senior year doesn't have to be a 9-month-long anxiety attack for everyone (trust me I know that person and they are no fun to be around). I think I'm at the point where I'm trying to assess how useful my education has been to me, and figuring out what my actual skills are and how I can develop them. This has spurred a few new activities in my life:

1) I'm beginning to think about how market myself, so I'm talking a Human Services class (182). This class basically gives you the opportunity to write a grant for an existing non-profit organization which is an incredible skill to have. If you didn't already know, EVERYBODY needs a grant writer.

2) I'm writing every day now. As an English major/Creative Writing minor, I haven't always found it easy to motivate myself to write. However I made a pact with myself to write for an hour every day. If you're talented but you never produce any output, how will anyone ever know?

3) I'm looking for areas to contribute on-campus. That means, submitting to various publications of campus, like the Hatchet, paying attention to what is going on, and involving myself wherever I feel there is an opportunity for networking. When I ask people what the wish the took advantage of in college, most people say they wish they took advantage of networking opportunities. I'm visiting the Career Center and the Alumni House every chance I get. Even if there isn't a special event going on, they have endless resources to make you educational experience even more valuable. While good grades are always important, your ability to ask people for advice and connecting with professionals in your field is a necessity. Good grades get your foot in the door, but networking keeps it there.

Above all, it's important to have a plan for each semester and to carry out your plan to the best of your ability. I've been thinking I might want to stay an extra year to join the 5-year English Bachelors/Masters program. While I want to graduate with all my friends this year, I recognize that staying will put me in a much more competitive place in the future. I'm still keeping my options open by applying for jobs (Teach for America!! Wish me luck!), but because this job market isn't offering any guarantees, I want to  give myself as many options as possible.

Now that I feel sufficiently awkward for sounding like a mom, here's a video of my a capella group, The GW Troubadours, from our concert in December. It's the acoustic cover of Lady Gaga's Poker Face. I'm singing the solo! Enjoy.

*We'll be holding auditions this Tuesday January 19th, at 7:30 (second floor Marvin Center).*



Ekiria

No comments:

Post a Comment