Friday, September 30, 2011

My Buddy's 21st Birthday!

Last night was my roommate's birthday, the big 2-1, so we all went out to Zaytinya for dinner.  It's a Greek-Turkish-Lebanese restaurant in Chinatown owned by superstar Chef José Andrés.  He's pretty much the most well-known chef in DC, and he's internationally renowned, as well.  Below is a spot on him from 60 Minutes!  Yes, I watch 60 minutes... I am your grandfather.



If you're not up for watching the piece, it talks about all his innovative creations and how he re-defines foods as we know them, completely re-purposing ingredients we know and love to make something almost revolutionary.  One of the concepts he employs is called "molecular gastronomy"--too much for me to explain, watch the piece or Google it.  But olive oil ice cream, for instance--sounds so weird but it was awesome!  Rose water ice cream, as well.  And that was just dessert.  (Listen to me, JUST dessert.  Oh please, Shireen.)

Additionally, he is an avid supporter of DC Central Kitchen, which feeds the homeless AND trains them as chefs to work in restaurants.  He's originally from Spain, but Andrés now makes DC his home, and he claims he loves it.  I believe it!  

So all around great cause, great guy, and great food.  I was so excited to finally go to one of his restaurants!  I've wanted to for sooooo long--he's kind of an icon.

AND my friend had a lovely birthday, and we loved sharing it with her!

email me: shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment