Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Classes + Volleyball = My Entire Life during Fall Semester

Hello again! The further into the semester it gets, the less free time it feels like I have. It is only the third week and I have quite a lot to do (and almost all of my ‘to- do’ list involved either classes or volleyball, in case you couldn’t already tell). Speaking of my classes, as of last week, I have finalized my schedule for the semester. Here’s the rundown:

Executive Branch Politics (Public Administration): This class counts towards my Criminal Justice major and discusses public management opposed to private sector management and key public policy topics. It also addresses the functions of local, state, federal governments.

Social Research Methods: This class also counts towards my Criminal Justice major and focuses on research in the social sciences. According to the syllabus, the class concentrates on research design, data collection, and data analysis. Out of all of my classes this semester, this is the largest in size and honestly, will probably be the most boring for the same reason (lots of people need this for their major in either Sociology or Criminal Justice and it is strictly lecture).

Theories of Personality: This is a psychology class required for my minor (or major, if I decide to double major in criminal justice and psychology). It is exactly what it sounds like, a class about personalities and those theories surrounding them. To me, this class sounds super interesting and I am pretty excited to learn about all the different types of personalities and see if I can recognize them in everyday life.

East Asian Calligraphy: This is the only class that I am taking this semester that does not go towards my major/ minor. It actually counts for my fine art (or performance art) requirement. So far, even though I’m not good at drawing the characters, the class is fairly fun. It is really nice to have a class that is a little less stressful and academic and instead for a few hours I can focus on something that I can equate to drawing. Plus, I can’t wait to see how much I improve from the first day to my final exam in December.
not perfect, but pretty good for my first day of class, if I do say so myself

Social Psychology: This class also counts for my Psychology minor (/major) and seems really fascinating. Basically, this is a class covering how society and the people around you can influence your behaviors and thoughts. Some of the topics included are group decision making, obedience and conformity, aggression, health, helping, and love/ attraction. As of right now, I predict that this will be my favorite class this semester. I will let you know in December if my prediction was correct and how all of my classes turn out.

Switching topics to the other half of my life, volleyball, a lot is happening. Since my last post, we took 1st place in the VCU/ Third Degree Sportswear Invitational tournament, beating VCU, Cornell, and North Carolina A&T, and we also took down Georgetown last night in a exhilarating 5 game match (our first of the year) in front of a very excited crowd. As a result, GW Volleyball is still undefeated and is now 10-0!!!
this picture doesn't quite give the crowd justice (can't see all bleachers) 
huddle during a timeout (p.s. I'm #7)
post victory lap around gym

**all volleyball photos courtesy of gwsports.com**

Now this weekend, we will be playing in San Diego, which is exciting since we have so many players from California. We are actually leaving tomorrow morning and returning on Sunday for a GW athlete-leadership day (not quite sure what that entails yet), so once all the craziness of this weekend is over, I will recap it all for you. And of course, provide some pictures from the trip.

Well that’s all for now. I have to start packing and get ready for San Diego. Sorry for the long post, but I promised to discuss my classes and since I am in season, realistically even if I wanted to, I don’t think I could not talk about volleyball in a post (it is everyday).

Feel free to email me with any questions! cbgraf@gwmail.gwu.edu

-Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment