Friday, September 16, 2011

¡El 18 de septiembre- fiestas patrias!

We are gearing up here in Chile to celebrate national independence day, the 18th of september! Today, I don't have class and Monday is a national holiday so Chileans take this opportunity to celebrate all weekend long. It's amazing how proud Chileans are of their country- in every stand, store, and home, there are decorations with the flag and flag colors. It's hilarious to me that the U.S. and Chile share red, white, and blue as their flag colors so I feel very patriotic for both countries while sporting these colors around town.

I will be attending several lunch barbecues ("asados") with my family and hopefully going out downtown to see the festival and parade this weekend. Everyone relaxes, eats a lot, and gets together with their family. I am excited to finally meet my host dad who is coming into town for the weekend to spend time with his family. He usually works about 10 hours away so he will be taking a bus here today and returning Monday by bus for work on Tuesday.
Chilean flag on the morro (huge rock hill basically) overlooking downtown
Main street throughout town is named for this holiday!
A typical all meat barbecue (called an "asado")
Chilean mulled wine ("navegado"): red wine, oranges, sugar
Traditional Chilean dance, the cueca
Hope everyone is enjoying the DC weather- I would love to get some more heat down here!

As always, ask me anything! marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment