Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My new internship!

Hello, friends.  I am now a Policy Analyst for The Institute for Gulf Affairs!  Weeee!

Today was my first day, and I loved it!  The Gulf Institute is a rather small operation with an office about 15 minutes off campus.  Me and 3 other interns are working on a few campaigns, one involving human rights concerns for Saudi women (check out the No Women. No Play. website for more info!) and another on the current political situation in Bahrain.

I was the last intern to start, the other 3 started either last week or a month ago, so I have some catching up to do!  It doesn't seem like it'll be too hard, though, everyone there was super nice and helpful, and I already started my first project: an op-ed about the women's campaign to be published!  I'm gonna be published, kids!  Haha.

Another major plus to the job: all 3 of my co-interns are native French speakers.  They're all so cool!  I'm super jealous, but the good thing is they speak it all the time in the office, which will definitely help me with comprehension and (once I drum up the courage) speaking.  I've taken French since the 6th grade, but I took a few years off so I got a bit rusty.  Here's hoping I pick it up--and fast!  I'll need to in order to keep up with everyone!

So that's really all I've got on my first day, but more updates to come!  Definitely liking the new office and the whole crew, so this should be a great semester!

As per the usual, email with questions and whatnot: shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment