Saturday, September 24, 2011

Choice USA Generation 2 Generation Awards

Last night, my roommate (also my Voices for Choices VP) and I went to the Gen2Gen Celebration for ChoiceUSA.  This weekend is their annual conference in DC, and the weekend-long affair kicked off last night at K Street Lounge with an award ceremony featuring Gloria Steinem!

I know... I'm pretty lucky to have seen Toni Morrison and Gloria Steinem ALL IN ONE WEEK!  And within only a few days of each other!  Eek!

Obviously, as VFC President I'm all about pro-choice advocacy, but I haven't had a lot of opportunities to schmooze with others in the field.  Last night was my first exposure to that world, and I'm super excited to immerse myself in it even more!  I was told by my liaison with Planned Parenthood that we've got exciting things in store for the campus PP groups--can't wait!

So it was a really cool event with a whole lotta awesome pro-choicers and members of the sexual advocacy community.  I also got to meet with Georgetown's H*yas for Choice, and we started the planning process for a DC University-wide event, so be on the lookout for that!

The event will include the entertainer at last night's happy hour celebration, a spoken word artist based in DC named Sonya Renee.  She was really good, we all got chills from some of her poems--so we really want to have an event with her!   It would probably be at a venue in or around Dupont Circle, so we can get a steady audience from GW, Georgetown, and AU as well.  Let me know your thoughts on that!

Email me!  shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment