Thursday, August 11, 2011

Skyping around the world!

Hi everyone!

I have been hole-ing myself up a lot this summer and been out of touch with a lot of my GW friends. Thankfully, most of them have been out of contact (either out of the country or otherwise) so I haven't felt as bad! Yesterday though, I was able to spend the afternoon on Skype catching up with several of them-

  • My roommate for the spring semester has already started her study abroad program in Buenos Aires, Argentina through the GW study abroad program. She is having a lot of fun exploring the city after her language intensive program in Costa Rica for the summer which she thinks definitely helped her be prepared! We skyped from her homestay apartment in Buenos Aires.
  • My roommate from last year also participated in the Costa Rica program for the summer and now is doing research in Costa Rica (flying solo!) until her semester program starts up in San Jose. She is talking to real deal people and getting really good information for her research which is exciting. We skyped from her hostel in San Jose where she was repeatedly interrupted by some woman who wanted to sleep in the bed she was sitting in.. weird.
  • My boyfriend is in Fiji leading a group of 11 high schoolers on a summer program, which is mostly scuba diving, community service, and cultural studies. I for one am really jealous and it seems like they are having an awesome time. He had to hike up to the top of a hill to get reception to call me.
  • My friend from Portland was stuck in the Seoul airport because of some typhoons off of the coast. We talked while she was sitting waiting for a new flight assignment. She finally is home though and we hung out last night!
It definitely was exciting to talk to people in South America, the South Pacific, and Asia all in one day! I can't wait until fall semester begins and I'm skyping my friends in foreign countries from Chile.

As always, email me! marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment