Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake....in D.C?.......

I know I said my next post would be all about volleyball preseason and would be posted on Wednesday, but today was quite a peculiar day. As you may have heard, the entire east coast, but mainly the D.C. metro area, experienced a 5.9 earthquake earlier this afternoon. It has been the only thing people have been talking about since it happened. I was in the middle of my dorm room on the phone with my mom and all of a sudden everything started shaking. At first I thought it was someone running/ thudding down the hall or dropping a couch but then it kept going. And then I looked outside and the fence and street lights right outside my room were moving like flimsy trees in the wind. The entire time I was thinking “um…..what is that?......that can’t be an earthquake. D.C. doesn’t have earthquakes….I think…” Obviously it was an earthquake.


Right as it happened my roommates and I were on our way out to meet the rest of our team for our team lunch at Chop’t. Everyone was animatedly talking about where they were when it occurred, with most people either being in the athletic training room in the basement of the Smith Center or in the elevator of Madison, a freshman dorm (where I lived freshman year as well). The walk to lunch took longer than usual because every building in the area had been evacuated and were cluttering the sidewalks, talking on their phones (which by the way jammed the cell phone service and I could not make any calls for quite a while). Apparently the federal government closed down and all employees were sent home, which also created a huge traffic jam. When we got back to our room, the earthquake was all over the news. I heard that the National Cathedral here in D.C. endured structural damage as well as a few others, but I haven’t really heard too much as of yet. Once my phone started working, I got lots of texts asking if I was okay. As you can tell, today was exciting in quite an odd way. I am sure you will see coverage on the earthquake at some point. My grandmother said she heard about it on the news back home in Wisconsin soon after it happened. Hopefully tomorrow won’t be as eventful, but it seems to me that tons of big things have happened in D.C. since I began school at GW (ex. snowpocalypse 2010 and Osama bin Laden’s death to name two), which makes this a very exciting place to be.

Feel free to email me with any questions! cbgraf@gwmail.gwu.edu

-Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment