Thursday, August 25, 2011

¡Hola de Arica, Chile!

Hi everyone! I just arrived on Tuesday in Arica, Chile. I flew from Portland to Los Angeles, and then to Santiago (the capital of Chile) with a stop in Lima, Peru. Then I continued back north to Arica, where I am now. My study abroad program is just starting with an orientation to the city, the work, the research, and so we can get to know each other!

As a review for those who haven't been reading along, I'm doing a study abroad program through SIT (School of International Training). It is a research based study abroad, where we take classes until mid October and then have all of November to complete an independent research project. We are living in homestays starting on Saturday but get to travel to any part of the country for our independent study project in November. My program is based on health, indigenous traditional medicine, and community empowerment.

So far, the trip has gone really well! It is quite a shock to have to speak spanish all the time. We didn't even get an introduction in english- we just jumped right in conversing and practicing and talking about the program! Today, we finally got out of the hotel complex we've been staying in for orientation and took a little tour of the town in a bus marked "turista.." awesome, everyone knew we were "gringas" (white girls) anyways!!

While I haven't had the time to upload any photos yet, here is what Arica looks like (thanks google!) and hopefully I can show you guys some of my own photos soon!

A street downtown
View of downtown
"El Morro"- the hill Arica used to defend itself in the War of the Pacific against Peru
As always, email me! I'm only a continent away :) marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment