Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring Break and the End of an Era

That era:  MIDTERMS.  Oy thank goodness they're over, I've really been worn down by the high stress and lack of sleep and irritability of myself and others over the past 2 weeks are so.  And now for a VERY well-deserved vacation.  I'm not going anywhere exciting, I'll just be hanging around at home, trying desperately to get some work done so that the next half of the semester will be less stressful and I can enjoy the b-e-a-utiful days ahead!  The week after we get back, the Cherry Blossom Festival begins, and I hope to spend a good chunk of every day enjoying the scenery, as often as possible.

Additionally, I want to make my schedule for next semester--a daunting process.  Here's how I tackle it (also applies quite well for making your four-year plan):

1)  Figure out what you want to learn about!
     I know, that's a lot harder than it sounds.  But at this stage in life we all at least know what we've always been good at in school, what articles we'd stop on in the newspaper or what books we'd be more inclined to pick up for pleasure reading at the library.  Even the shows you watch direct you to some sort of core interest--do some soul searching and try to at least get a grasp on your interest areas.

2)  Search through course offerings in those areas.
     What I do is click on every heading that interests me (International Affairs, History, Classics, Humanities, Fine Arts/Art History, etc.) and just jot down the course name, time(s), and CRN number of every class that sounds at all interesting to me.

3)  Ratemyprofessor.com
     Though you can't base all of your course selections on a single bad rating, this site has proven VERY helpful for me.  When I see a listing that's almost entirely negative, I try my hardest to shy away.  Additionally, listings that are all positive may sway you towards a course that was originally second-tier on your list.

4)  Schedule required courses first when possible, then base the rest of your around it.
     Annoying as it may be, required courses are required for a reason.  Though they're not always the most interesting, you gotta take them, and it's best to get them out of the way as soon as possible.  Plus, they're usually prerequisites for other courses that you may just be itching to take!

Hope that was helpful!  Those are definitely my top tips.

Email me!  Please?  My break will be boring if you don't!
ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

~~~ Shireen-

1 comment:

  1. Check out GW CourseRank!

    GW CourseRank is a FREE website that helps you search for classes, read class ratings/reviews, and plan your academic schedule all in one place!

    ReplyDelete