Thursday, March 25, 2010

Odd Buildings at GW

As I wait for my class to begin, I realize that there are a few places at GW that are hidden away from the center of campus.  I am currently sitting in 2020 K St.  I building that is home to not only GW classrooms, but a Kinkos/FedEx, office buildings and a hair salon.  It is about a block off of the edge of campus and is a good walk to take on a beautiful day.  We expanded to 2020 when we needed more space to hold more classes.  While it may take a bit longer to walk to, GW is able to offer more classes per semester because of the extra room.

Another building that is often not explained is 1776 G St. (As you can tell we are really creative with our building names here at GW...)  1776, besides just having a cool address, is home to a lot of the engineering classes.  Although, I have had a statistics discussion and I have heard of philosophy classes being held there as well.  This building is only 2 blocks away from the White House and close to a great coffee shop called Swings.  It is nice to get away from campus and have a leisurely walk to 1776.

One last building is Building XX, again very creative I know.  This was once a church on 20th St near Pennsylvania Ave.  GW once used it as a television studio for one of it's shows on GW TV that is now canceled, but the building is still used today.  The television studio has been gutted out and is a great space for student performances and acting classes.  I have seen a few Theater theses there.  There is a lot of space, a lot of speakers, and a lot of lights, perfect for putting on a show!

Class is about to start now.  I should probably get going.

Decisions are going out live tonight.  Good luck to everyone.  If you have any questions about anything, please email me at kwollner@gwu.edu and I will be happy to answer your questions!  Also, if you are coming to campus anytime soon and see me around stop me! I love to talk to people without the assistance of a computer too...

1 comment:

  1. what a useful post! i had a VERY hard time finding the GW entrance to 1776 G when i first had a class there, so this would have been rather helpful to me last semester, but alas!

    - Shireen

    ReplyDelete