Friday, March 5, 2010

A Blog About Blogs?

Bonjour!

I just finished watching Julie and Julia (which was delightful), and it got me thinking about all the different blogs that are out there. To follow off of Ekiria's last post about GW student blogs, I thought it would be cool to write about some of my and my friends favorite blogs. 

Why not start with the blog that inspired the book that inspired the movie I just watched? Julie Powell's blog, The Julie/Julia Project, is about cooking her way through all 536 of Julia Childs's recipes in her groundbreaking cookbook in one year that inspired a book and a film. You can read her blog from August 2002 through her project's completion. Julie has also started a new blog, What Could Happen?, about her life since the book and movie. Both are enjoyable, particularly if you like food. It's pretty cool to read the blog right after seeing the movie; it makes the journey Julie took even more incredible and touching, but it also especially makes me want to cook!

Next up, I'd like to share a couple blogs about DC that I frequent fairly often. The DCist is one of the most popular blogs among my friends. It has news, events, food, and art info all about the District. I particularly enjoy their photo of the day feature.  Here's today's: 
Another great blog to read every now and again about DC is called Eavesdrop DC. You might be familiar with other "overheard" blogs, like Overheard in New York. If not, they are hilarious pieces of conversations overheard by an individual who then posts it on a blog. Here's a little example from March 2, 2010: 
"Wine tasting outside of DC in Virginia. A guy and girl in their twenty-somethings talking in-between 'tastes' of wine:
Guy: Wait, you like the play the game Risk?
Girl: I'm a Republican- of COURSE I like world domination!"
There are plenty of really funny posts on there that can keep you entertained for hours! (There is also an Overheard at GW Facebook group. If you really enjoy that kind of thing definitely check it out.)

The last DC blog I'll highlight one I actually used today, Brunch DC. The Sunday before classes resume after Spring Break, a few friends and I wanted to get brunch to catch up before our lives get crazy with school again. We wanted to try a new place and after one visit to Google later, this blog became very useful. Although they are no longer posting, there are over 40 reviews listed, organized by neighborhood, and all very helpful. 

For random entertainment news, celebrity gossip, and other things of that nature, I turn to Gawker, Perez Hilton, and Jezebel. Gawker and Jezebel have a broader range of content and the posts are more like articles rather than Perez's, which are smaller blurbs paired with photos or videos. Jezebel is also more targeted to female readers, as it puts a feminist twist on its coverage of all things pop culture. All three are quite provocative and enjoyable. Check out this really interesting article about whether or not talking out your problems actually helps you be happier. 

I'm off to Mount Vernon for soccer practice now, and later to a screening of Terminator 2: Judgement Day for one of my classes-- ah, the perks of being an American Studies major. Have a good weekend everybody!

And as Julia Childs would say, bon appetit!

-Abby 

No comments:

Post a Comment