Monday, October 19, 2009

The Past Seven Weeks

Well, its been busy to say the least.

For those who are reading my blog for the first time, I am a senior in the School of Business and I will be graduating in December with a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing and Sport, Event & Hospitality Management. So, in addition to classes, work, and all of the other things that I want to do in my last semester of college, I am spending every spare moment job searching. I’m looking primarily for jobs in marketing communications, but I’m open to anything and I am definitely interested in relocating, hopefully to New York. But, as you can imagine, no matter what kind of work you are looking for, now is not the best time to be looking for work at all.

Here are a few things I have learned so far:

1. Use the F. David Fowler Career Center at the School of Business. The folks in the career center are probably sick and tired of seeing me, but they are extremely helpful and they’re great at making sure that I stay optimistic and that I’m utilizing all of the resources that are available to me.

2. Talk to everyone. Literally, everyone. Yesterday, I was on the Metro and I ran into a guy that graduated from GWSB 2 years ago. We started talking about my job search he wished me luck, got off at his stop and went on his way. After he got off, the man sitting down next to me said, “I heard you talking about your job search. I work at an internet marketing firm in DC. I’m not sure if that is what you’re interested in, but we’re always looking for talented interns - here is my card.” Talk about networking!

3. Speaking of “interns” - its OK to apply to post-graduate internships. I had to change my thinking early on about what kind of job I am looking for. I am graduating a semester early, and there is nothing wrong with taking a full-time internship that will add to my experience and help me get my foot in the door if that seems to be the best thing.

4. Apply to EVERYTHING. Much like when you apply to college and you’re told to apply to “safety schools” and “reach schools,” I had to adopt that same philosophy with my job search. I have been applying to jobs that I know I am over-qualified for or maybe aren’t EXACTLY what I’m looking for. I have also applied for jobs where I meet most but not all qualifications. I write a very compelling cover letter and apply. Can’t hurt, right?

5. Use LinkedIn every single day. It has been a great way to find GWSB alumni that are working in New York in my field, but it has also been a great way to identify HR managers at companies that I am interested in working for!

I know that most of you reading this are prospective students, which means that you are having a hard enough time with your college search and probably don’t even want to think about your job search, but I’m writing these things to assure you that GW students do not enter the workforce unarmed. I am confident talking to people, applying for jobs and going to interviews because I have spent three and a half years as a GW student. On more than one occasion people have looked at my resume and said, “Oh, you go to George Washington University? That is fantastic! I hear great things about their students.” It is amazing how much my degree from GW is worth out there in the real world!

Updates on my job search and everything else that has been happening around here will be coming much more frequently. Be sure to check back often and feel free to send an email if you have any questions!

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment