Monday, October 19, 2009

Early Decision

With early decision 1 deadline fast approaching, I know a lot of you are trying to figure out if this is the right path for you. After applying to colleges myself, and working in the admissions office for 2 years, I have learned a few things about early decision at GW. However, let me preface this entry by saying I did not apply to GW as an early decision student.

Early decision, as a lot of you know, is a BINDING contract with the university. This means, that if you are accepted from this pool you MUST attend GW. And if you are declined admission you are NOT pushed back to regular decision. The binding contract is what people find scary. Depending on financial situations, opportunities, other schools, and so on, there are plenty of reasons to apply early decision.

When admission directors read applications, early decision or not, they are looking for someone who truly wants to be at GW. This is why every applicant must answer the “why GW?” essay question. Applying early decision shows that you really want to go to GW and are willing to rescind other applications if you get in.
When I was applying, I could not make a binding decision in November. I was too dependent on financial aid that I did not want to lock in my admittance without knowing I could afford it. And even though GW was always my number one choice, I had to keep financial capability in mind.

The benefits of applying early decision are great. You don’t have to worry about applications into December like many of your friends, you get more time to explore where you want to live, what you want to take, and what you want to join once you come to campus, and (generally) you get to register for things like Colonial Inauguration (orientation) and housing before other incoming freshmen.

The acceptance rate under early decision is the same as under regular decision, around 36%. So don’t think that because the pool is smaller you have a better chance. But also think about if GW is you absolute number one choice. I suggest discussing this with your parents and teachers to get there opinions.
Don’t forget, you can email me at kwollner@gwmail.gwu.edu if you have any questions!

Kim

1 comment:

  1. quick question, if you apply early decision and get in, does this mean you must attend GW for all four year? Or can you transfer out just incase you change your mind after first semester?

    ReplyDelete