Thursday, October 15, 2009

What I've been up to...

Hey Readers,
I know in my last entry i said an update was coming “soon” but things have been so hectic since the start of classes that I found myself putting it off for a bit. Now I have so much stuff to tell you guys that I don’t even know where to begin! Some of the things I’ve done/been up to:
CASA (Chinese American Student Association) 1st General Body Meeting
The CASA General Body Meeting was held in the marvin center first floor. There, students (mostly freshman) had the chance to introduce themselves and were also taught how to play Chinese Poker! Refreshments (sweets!) were provided. The CASA eboard was introduced and a sign up sheet was passed around for those that want to receive updates and come out to or become part of CASA’s upcoming events. I had to leave early to go study but for the time I was there it seemed like CASA has a very enthusiastic eboard and I’m looking forward to their usual Lunar New Year Show, Date Auction, Big & Littles, shirts, water balloon fight, and various other events on campus!
PCS (Philippine Cultural Society) 1st General Body Meeting
The Philippine Cultural Society GBM was a lot like the CASA GBM in that the eboard was introduced and a sign up sheet was passed around. However, PCS had a guest speaker who talked about the importance of filling out the 2009 US Census. He even gave out free magnets, pencils, and notepads. We played an icebreaker game that one of the eboard members called “I’ve Got Mail”. Some people know this game as “fruit basket”. There was also free food made by the eboard president - a kind of philippino stir fry that was really really good! PCS has a big brother , big/little (or at least i think that’s what they call it) program as well. This means that one of the upperclassman looks after a younger or lowerclassman student. I haven’t attended a lot of PCS activities (although I did participate in last year’s turkey bowl) so I’m looking forward to seeing what PCS is all about. The PCS president even came up to me and introduced herself personally which I thought was really nice and something I haven’t had happen at the other GBM’s I’ve attended. I definitely felt more welcome!
Partied at the PDP (Pi Delta Psi Fraternity Incorporated) House
Frat House on F Street. PDP is a asian interest (not asian exclusive) fraternity. For more information, check out their FB rush group or their website—-> http://www.omicronpdpsi.com/
Korean Cultural Organization “Informal Social”
The Korean Cultural Organization informal social was a lot of fun. I’ve never attended a KCO event before so I was totally new to everything and didn’t know that many people. Luckily, we played an icebreaker game where we had names of famous people attached to our forehead (or back) and had to walk around the room while asking people questions about who we were (what name we had). I had Homer Simpson. They also had FREE PIZZA which was yummy. I’m looking forward to this year’s KCO Culture Show (Culture Night?) because I missed the one they held last year. :(
Shopping at Pentagon City Mall, Walking around Chinatown/Gallery Place, Shopping at Columbia Heights - Best Buy & Target, buying groceries at Safeway
Shopping! Last minute shopping for things I needed for my room, eating chinese food in chinatown, shopping at target, buying groceries at safeway. Pretty self explanatory. I lead a normal life!
Applied & Accepted a job at the GW Office/Division of Development & Alumni Relations
Today was my first day of work and I love it so far! The staff is really really nice and I’m even helping out with an event later today. I will update more about work later. =)
More to come! Please keep checking back or email me at chabow@gwmail.gwu.edu with any questions!

Chanelle

No comments:

Post a Comment