Sunday, July 31, 2011

The 9:30 Club and Late-Night Chili

Last night, with my visiting friends in tow, I went up to U street for a concert at the 9:30 Club.  My friend was super excited when she found out that Christina Perri was going to be playing there while they were in town, so she asked if we could go.  I didn't know ANY of Perri's songs, but tickets were $20 so I figured what would it hurt?

Well then I listened to the most famous song by Christina Perri, "Jar of Hearts".  It's pretty teen angst-y and a slightly more hardcore version of just about every Taylor Swift song, so I was pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy any of her other music or the concert.  I listened to bits of one other song as well and was like, OY.  It was slow chick-y teen ballads, in my opinion.

Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised!  She has a really cool, raspy, unprocessed voice and her and her band put on a pretty good show!

Funny story, though: me and the two others that didn't go to see Christina ended up liking her opening band better!  They were old timey rock mixed with some Nashville and Jazz sounds all combined to make a sweet alternative rock sound.  They were called Honeyhoney, and they're actually signed to Kiefer Sutherland's record label, which is pretty awesome.  He's even in their music video!



After the concert, we went to Ben's Chili Bowl, since we were in U Street anyway, it was late, and I couldn't let them leave DC without having some chili cheese fries from THE Washington take-out joint.  It was delicious, as always, and they were big fans.

Below is the storefront followed by our president eating there!  He's known to stop in once in a while.



Even if you're not starstruck easily, that's pretty awesome.  It's my dream to run into him at Ben's or Ray's Hell Burger or one of those other places sometime during my tenure in DC.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!



As always, shoot me an email with any questions or anything!  shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment