Monday, November 16, 2009

GW Today, Newspapers and Other Sources...

Last week in an interview, I was asked, "how do you get your news?" and I honestly had to stop and think about all of the places that I catch up on the news every day.  When you live in the epicenter of some of the most critical news in our nation, it is important to always know what is going on.  I live about 5 blocks from the White House which means that the news is sometimes happening right around the corner from my apartment.  

Here's a list of the best ways to get news on campus:

  • The GW Hatchet is GW's student newspaper that is published twice a week.  You can pick it up in print pretty much anywhere on campus, but I have it delivered to my email and usually read it that way. 
  • GW Today is a new online news source that can be found on the University's website. 
  • Obviously, you have television news.  I usually turn on CNN in the mornings when I get ready to make sure I'm caught up on anything that may have happened while I was sleeping! 
  • The GW Reads program provides free copies of the New York Times, Washington Post and USA Today in every residence hall.  I try to grab a copy of the Post on my way out the door to have with me throughout the day. 
  • The School of Business has free copies of the Wall Street Journal available to School of Business students - another paper that you're likely to find in my tote bag on any given day. (Who says newspapers are going out of style?!)
  • Lastly, when I meet my group project teams in the lobby of Duques Hall or if I'm passing through on my way to class, the television screens are almost always tuned to CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc...so I can get a quick glance at what is going on in the world. (You'll find TVs tuned to news channels in the Marvin Center as well.)

As great as it would be to have an hour every day to read the papers and watch the news its just not likely to happen for most college students, but as you can see there are a ton of ways that students can get news throughout their busy days! 

And for this senior, the only kind of days I have lately are busy ones! I just got back from another weekend in New York.  I spent Thursday night and Friday in Connecticut where I visited with friends and had a job interview at a small PR firm in Norwalk, CT.  On Friday afternoon, I went into New York to attend the Advertising Women of New York (AWNY) Career Conference.  College students from business and marketing programs all over the country gathered at the Fashion Institute of Technology on Friday evening and all day Saturday for the conference.  We heard from top executives at several agencies and had the opportunity to attend workshop sessions on a huge variety of topics in the advertising industry.  It was an excellent experience! 

Now another week of school and work before I head home for Thanksgiving next week! Countdown to the end of my undergraduate education: 32 days!

-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment