Sunday, November 29, 2009

Home for the holidays!

Happy (Belated) Thanksgiving!


Or at least, I was for a couple days! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Mine was great, and the break was definitely too short, especially in comparsion to how much work I have to finish this week. Papers, exams, big assignments, all due this week. Hopefully I make it to Friday, since it's my birthday!



Anyways, one of the things I LOVE about DC is that getting to the airport isn't a hassle (usually, as long as I'm on time :) ) FOr flying home to Milwaukee, I always use Reagan National Airport. It couldn't be easier- hop on the Metro stop right on campus for the 15-20 minute ride directly to the airport!

Regean Nat'l Airport (with DC across the river in background)


Also available for students trying to get home for the holidays are Dulles Int'l Airport (in Chantilly, VA) and BWI- Thurgoog Marshall Airport (in Baltimore, MD) which are a little more difficult to get to but definitely still doable, especially since you can find really good deals at BWI for those flying farther.


Map with 3 airports: Dulles on left, Reagan lower center, BWI top right

In addition, those living on the east coast have additional options, like a train or a bus.

Union Station, Washington DC

Not only is Union Station a great tourist attraction, shopping center, and historical building with an awesome food court (best place to go if everyone in your group can't agree), it also can get you home for the holidays by Amtrak!

Bolt Bus leaving DC

Another option I mentioned is the bus. Having taken it this summer from DC to NYC for a friend's 21st  birthday celebration, it is definitely a viable option. With WI-FI, outlets, and fares starting at $1, if you don't mind it taking a little longer to get home, Bolt Bus would be my recommendation, especially if you just want to get away to NYC for a weekend.

~Vickie

No comments:

Post a Comment