Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween in Sydney and DC

Last night was a fun-filled night out on the town full of costumes and friends.  While I have never spent a Halloween outside of the country I always assumed it would be basically the same everywhere.  I was wrong.  In Australia Halloween is not as big of a holuday as it is in the States.  Chalk this up to commercialized America or the apathetic Australians, but the festivities were not as themed as I have seen in the past.

In DC almost every person is dressed in some kind of costume on te night of All Hallow's Eve.  In Sydney, we were lucky is we saw someone with devil horns.  We made the best of it.  A few clubs were having costume parties so we knew where to head.  We went to Circular Quay (the main ferry transit station in Sydney, home of the Sydney Opera House) and walked around to enjoy the cool night air.  We soon made our way to Argyle where I saw Jokers, Winnie the Pooh, cowboys, and ironically enough, Native Americans.  While I don't make it to this place very often, I must admit that it is one of the cooler places I have been in Sydney.  the entire building is wooden, 2 levels with dancefloors and a floating DJ above it all in his glass box.

If I was at GW, I would attend the annual Drag Race down P Street.  The best of the best of drag queens come out for a parade and then a race down the street in heels, costumes, and the mayor! On Halloween night I would dress up with a few friends and go to the annual Rocky Horror Picture Show put on by Forbidden Planet Productions.  It is a tradition that should not be missed.

Either place, Halloween is a great night to dress up and have a ton of fun with your friends.  I hope all of you enjoyed your night.

Email me at kwollner@gwmail.gwu.edu if you have any questions!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment