Friday, November 6, 2009

My Application

As most of you are in the process of looking over applications and polishing up those essays, I wanted to share part of my GW application.  As most of you know, every applicant has to write a "why GW" essay.  This part of the application is meant to express your interest in GW and why you want to attend.  My essay, although written about 3 years ago is still very applicable to my life at GW.  I hope you enjoy.

     My first true exposure of the GW community was when I was a part of the Sibling Colonial Inauguration   program.  This showed me the wonders of the GW campus, as well as the Washington, DC atmosphere.  I saw that the entire campus, though very spread out, maintained a sense of community and pride.  Every student walking down the street seemed to have a positive air.  They were happy to be a part of the GW family.  The program also showed me the wonders of the nation s capitol such as the monuments I had only seen in books.
    Since my CI adventure, I have been out to DC to visit my sister one on one.  While there, I sat in on a class and I was amazed at the amount of knowledge in one room.  The class was based on the problems and possible solutions in Africa, a topic I have never really been exposed to, but never the less, I was able to understand the class.  The way in which the information was presented was more than a typical lecture.  There was participation, laughter, and plenty of writing.  That classroom shows me that not every college is as generic as the others that I have visited.  GW holds diverse classes, not only in the sense of topics, but with the people that take them.  There are people on every side of every debate, and this fact will help me to open my mind to ideas and concepts I would never fathom.  Another classroom aspect that attracts me to GW is the technology resources.  The online notes, lectures, and other programs will help me learn in a way which is best for me.  I will be able to rewrite notes if they are lost, study even if I miss a class, and ask questions outside of the classroom.  The classes of my college education are the most important thing to me.  I am not going to school to have a good time; I am going to school to elevate myself to a higher level of my own life.  The classroom is the bull s eye to my college target.
    The first ring to my target is the campus and its community.  At GW I would be able to find a close-knit feel in residence halls and activities.  The dorms at GW are amazing.  They are not the typical college dorm room in my eyes.  However, my liking of the dorms does not have to do with the physical attributes.  I appreciate that dorm floors almost become a family.  Having a sense of family seven hundred miles away from home is important to me.  The activities offered at GW are also appealing to me.  I have always wanted to be a part of a radio station, an a cappella choir, and a political activism organization.  GW will allow me to be a part of all of these and more.  I cannot image where else this is possible.  GW holds an appreciation for every difference among its students.
    The city of Washington, DC has put me in a state of wonder for years.  On one corner there will be a protest, and on the next a counter-protest.  This is the city that I wish to jumpstart my future.  I want to be thrown into the rapid world of political activity.
    GW would be an amazing experience to remember for the rest of my life.  It is my dream to one day sit on the White House lawn waiting to receive my hard-earned diploma.



Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment