Friday, November 11, 2011

(Another) Eid Banquet!


Tonight, I went to the Muslim Students’ Association Eid Al-Adha Banquet.  (I know, I’m being so interfaith-y this week!)  Now, as I may have said before, I’m not Muslim, so I’ve never celebrated Eid until this year, first at the MSA’s Eid Banquet in September for Eid ul-Fitr, and now for Eid Al-Adha!

I really enjoy all these religion-based events because though I don’t subscribe to any one religion, I was raised Catholic and still celebrate the big Christian holidays.  I knew quite a bit about Jewish tradition because so many of my high school friends are Jewish, but I didn’t have much exposure to Islam (weird given my name and background, eh?)

I’m also a religion minor, so it’s great to see everything I’m learning in all my classes in action, as well as how modern Muslims practice in comparison to all the Middle Ages (and earlier) theologians and philosophers that dominate so much of my religion homework. 

There was also henna!  So I of course had to get all painted up--I love it!  Here are some pictures of my lovely body art:

When it was first applied--the dark stuff dries and crumbles off, leaving behind...

... all this loveliness!
Cute, no?  All that added up to a good night!

With questions about anything, email: shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment