Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Love in the Time of Appendicitis

Last week I had appendicitis, which wasn't so great. But along the way I learned some very important facts about GW, which was pretty great.

Let's explain this by the numbers:

0. The number of dollars it cost me to get EMeRG, GW's all-volunteer, student-run, on-campus paramedic and ambulance service, to drive me to the hospital.

600+. According to folks I've spoken to about this, the number of dollars it would have cost to have been driven two blocks from Student Health Services to the GW Hospital (if there was no EMeRG, I would have had to pay for a ride from DC Fire and EMS).

1. The number of operational ambulances EMeRG has right now.

Sweden's colors are the same as GW's...
So all in all, pretty great deal we have going here at GW. As a senior, I figured I'd never need to be hospitalized while still at college--but life has a way of surprising you. It's good to know that not only do we have a free ambulance service on campus, but we have a great hospital too. (If it's good enough for former Vice President Cheney, it's good enough for me.)

Coincidence, or Conspiracy?
For students with other problems, there's other support services too--Student Health Services for regular check-ups and outpatient care, the University Counseling Center for mental health issues, and a host of others.

In all seriousness, you'll probably never be provided for as well as during your time here at GW.

Adam
--
Questions or comments about Stockholm on the Potomac? Send them to me at ash1290@gwmail.gwu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment