Friday, November 18, 2011

Being really cultured.

Last night, my co-worker and I went to see the the National Symphony Orchestra at The Kennedy Center.  I got 2 free tickets on MyTix--it's a program run by The Kennedy Center that gives out free tickets (by raffle) each week.  You can also buy reduced-price tickets most days through MyTix.  It's really great.  I only entered it a few weeks, maybe 3, before I won!  I asked around who like Brahms--easier to find someone than I thought it would be!  My friend (and co-worker) was totally into it, so we made an evening out of it!

It was really fantastic; the Kennedy Center is beautiful, so just being there on a cold fall evening was nice in itself.  Then, there was the live music and dancing on the north "Millenium Stage", which is open to all, and of course our show was really, really good.  Beethoven and Brahms were performed beautifully (to my unrefined ears, at least), and the soloist Leonidas Kavakos put on a good show with the amazing symphony backing him up.  Totally fun.

In addition, I saw a former professor there!  It was really funny--this city is just so small.  And the Kennedy Center is where you're gonna bump into people.  Well, the upper-crust people you may happen to know.  Also, call me crazy, but I really think Wolf Blitzer was there as well.  It REALLY looked like him, and he'd be the type to see the symphony on a Thursday night.  He lives nearby, after all!

So I will certainly be signing up for MyTix every week, here's hoping I get one again soon!  But not too soon, I'm already seeing The Nutcracker there in a few weeks.  Can't go too often, that's over-exposure.  Plus it's a bit exhausting being so gosh-darn worldly!

As always, email me with questions and the like!  shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment