Sunday, October 2, 2011

Turkish Festival!

I absolutely love the DC Turkish Festival.  It's held every year on the first weekend of October around 12th to 14th streets on Pennsylvania Avenue (right outside the Federal Triangle metro), and it's been rated DC's best festival by Washington City Paper.  There are performances, a bazaar to buy all your Turkish/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern essentials, and PLENTY of food!  Seriously, there's so much, it's fabulous.

I went last year and loved it, so I had to go again this year.  Let me tell you, I was not disappointed.  They had the best Turkish folk dance troupe in the world perform!  How do I know they were the best?  They won the international competition in Poland last year.  I'm not sure why the Turkish folk dance competition was held in Poland, of all places, but they won!  And so they came all the way from Istanbul (Turkey, not Poland, haha) to perform at the DC Turkish festival!  That's kind of a big deal, if you ask me.

I'm usually pretty open-minded with my palate, but all I wanted today was a chicken Doner sandwich and some baklava.  I gotta tell you though, it hit the spot.  I could have been more adventurous, but I've been looking forward to this festival for so long I already knew what I'd be doing and eating and all that jazz.  No complaints though, it was serious fun.

Image from the DC Turkish Festival's website--pretty legit.
All in all, great day!  Also a great end to a fantastic weekend and a great start to the week!

Send your questions and whatnot to: shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment