Thursday, October 6, 2011

Skype-dates Galore!

I've never been much of a skyper, I'm pretty much only on when I've specifically scheduled a skype-date with someone, otherwise I shut the application off.  Lately though, I've found that I'm constantly making skype-dates and always logging on to hear the rather-annoying *wooooommmmp* sound.

Can you guess why?  All those darned study-abroaders!  I've got so many friends doing Focus on Fall Abroad, or FOFAC (here's fellow blogger Marisa's post on what that actually is).  But as a result, everyone's away and our only way to catch up is through Skype--cause goodness knows calling each other is way too pricey.  So I've got at least a skype-date a week, almost every week.

Now that's difficult enough for me: I have to find about an hour span in the day when I'm not doing work, at my internship, or in class, which is hard enough, but I also have to make sure my computer is charged and I am home in time--I could do it elsewhere, but I don't like people listening in to my Skype conversations.  More so than phone conversations, which is weird of me, but I just don't like it.  So scheduling for myself is a bit of an ordeal.

Not only that, but *most* of these people are in other time zones, so we have to finagle times that we're BOTH not occupied, which is a bit tough with such lengthy time differences--worst so far was 9 hours.  That was rough, one of us had to stay up way past our bedtimes (hint: it was me!)

But it's aiight, really.  If not for this lovely mechanism, I'd be a lot less connected to my buddies abroad this semester, and no one wants that!  Coming home from a semester in another country is hard enough, it's gotta be harder if you feel like you don't even remember your old friends!  So I'm doing best to alleviate that for my pals on other continents--and it's fun for me, too!

Email me, if you like!  shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

~~~Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment