Sunday, December 20, 2009

The White House and Other GW Holiday Traditions

Hello all! I hope everyone is doing well and if not already finished with school, almost done. I am home now in a snow covered NJ, which is very exciting, but my post concerns a little visit to the home of the Obamas.



On very foggy Monday morning of last week, two of my friends and I were able to go see the Christmas decorations at the White House. I've taken a tour of the WH before but never around the holidays. They really go all out with the decorations (obviously, it's the White House!), and I was very impressed. I think one of my favorites things was the Wishing Tree. They had a cardboard tree with holes in it and had guests write down a wish on a piece of paper, fold it, and put in inside the tree (see Greta and I in front of the Wishing Tree left). I won't tell you my wish or else it won't come true, but I think I my wish was a good one.

Another one of my favorite holiday decorations was the White House made entirely out of white chocolate, complete with a dark chocolate figure of their dog Bo.  Photographs lining the walls showed past Presidential Christmas cards, as well as past gingerbread versions of the White House or other DC landmarks, like the Washington Monument.  As good as the white chocolate White House looks, I bet it would taste even better--I wonder if Sasha and Malia get to eat that...

Our little stroll up to the White House was a great break from finals. I was so happy to get away from the craziness that seems to take over during the last few weeks of the semester. The music of the live orchestra that played while we gazed at the beautiful decorations added to the wonderment of the whole experience. I really enjoyed myself and just wish it could have lasted a bit longer than the half-hour we had. Easy access to things like White House tours is just another bonus to being a GW student and residing just 7 blocks away.

Also this week some of my friends celebrated the start of Chanukah. My good friend invited several of her friends over for latkes, which were absolutely fantastic. One of my friends came late to the latke party because she had been helping set up for the free Chanukah dinner. GW's Hillel puts together a free dinner for the first night of Chanukah for students. We ate them right out of the pan with a bit of  apple sauce, yum. Whether on campus or not, there's always a celebration somewhere.  A few nights later I was studying with my same friend and she had a Dukin' Donuts bag with her. When I asked about why she was eating donuts, she told me that jelly donuts were a traditional food at Chanukah, which I did not know. My endeavors into Judaism were well worth it for the food! Whatever holiday you chose to celebrate, you can find friends to share in the traditions.

Happy Holidays!
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment