Monday, February 13, 2012

The Smithsonian American Art Museum

For the past few months, I’ve been working at SAAM on weekends, as a presenter for the Art à la Cart Program.  It’s a really great way to engage visitors (especially kids) with the art in a more interactive and fun way, while still being really informative and interesting.  I’ve learned so much working at the museum, and I’m gonna share a bit of that with all of you!

Our presentations cover a variety of topics: “found art", quilting, art of the American Indian, photography, and sculpture, among others.  Here, I’ll give a super-quick teaser of our sculpture presentation, but for the whole thing you’ve got to come visit us at the American Art Museum on the Chinatown/Gallery Place stop.  We're there weekends from 2-5pm!


This horse sculpture was made by Debra Butterfield—can you guess what it’s made of?  (Don’t Google, it’ll ruin the surprise!)  Come see for yourself the intriguing and elegant Monekana at SAAM.

Really, visit me at work!  And email with questions about GW/DC/my job!  shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

~~~Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment