Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Bolt Blog!

I forget if I already did a blog about Bolt Bus, but if so here's a new one, since it'll be annoying for you all to try to find that one.  For all of us.  I just don't feel like sifting through old posts... (lazy.)

I promise I'm not being paid by Bolt or their parent companies or subsidiaries, I just really love them!  And I think this information would be REALLY helpful for those coming from the NYC area down to DC.  I take Bolt for almost every trip home, and when I don't take Bolt, it's almost always because I'm driving with family.

Bolt is based out of New York, and they go from their NYC stops (two right by Penn Station and the other in SoHo) to Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia, and DC.  I haven't taken Bolt anywhere but the NY-->DC line, but I plan on doing all of them eventually for weekend trips.  The stop I get off at in DC is right by the Metro Center station, which is ideal and close enough to campus that you could really walk home from there as long as you don't have a bunch of bags.   I did it once with bags--bad idea.  There's also a Union Station stop, and one in Greenbelt, at the end of the Green Line (metro).

I realize the stops aren't ideal for everyone, but for those of you who live in the NY/NJ/CT area, Bolt could be an asset!  And I know there's a bunch of us at GW from the tri-state.  Or if you're looking to take a weekend trip sometime during the semester, you can just jet up to the Big Apple for the weekend!  Whatta dream!

Now I haven't gotten to the best part of Bolt yet:  There are ONE DOLLAR TICKETS!!!  That's right!  $1!!!  The thing is, not every ticket is a buck.  Only the first (one way) ticket purchased is a dollar, and after that it goes up by relatively small increments--the most expensive I've seen is $25 I think. Which really isn't bad at all considering transportation costs these days!  I've gotten the $1 ticket at least 4 times that I can remember, and usually if I don't get that my trip costs about $10-$15 each way, which is still re-he-heeally good.  And every 8 trips you buy (one way), you earn a free one!  I've already earned 2.  Just make sure you sign in before you purchase!

And if you're afraid of the stereotypical "bus folk," don't worry about that, either.  Most of Bolt's customers are college students and yuppies.

There's another company with similar rates, Megabus, but I've never ridden with them, so I don't really have much to say, I don't want to speak without experience.  Do your research, though!

https://www.boltbus.com/
http://us.megabus.com/

I love reader emails!!!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu
<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment