Friday, September 17, 2010

2010: A G-Dubs Jobyssey

On the morning of Monday, August 30, I woke up in my great new dorm room to the first full day of my junior year of college.

I promptly realized that I'm way behind where I visualized myself being at this point. One of the biggest draws for me when I came to GW in 2008 was the internship and employment opportunities afforded to those in the D.C. area.

What I didn't anticipate was actually having to, you know, look for a job.

So long story short, I got caught up in schoolwork, and student organizations, and social life-- a lot of the things that make college so much fun-- and neglected the search for things that could make my experience here even better. This might be classic case of "letting the good become the enemy of the best."

Luckily, one good thing about G-Dubs is that it offers many resources for finding meaningful work. I just got back from my second visit in three days to GW's Career Center, where I got some great guidance on my resume and other good advice on the campus job fair I'll be attending next Tuesday.


There are a number of great opportunities on campus for employment. Here are a few, easily digestible:


Federal Work-Study (FWS): Like my current job at GW's Office of Undergraduate Admissions, these jobs subsidize the employment of student employees by participating employers. 75% of your wages are paid out of you FWS award, which is given to students with financial need based on their FAFSAs submitted to GW's Office of Student Financial Assistance when they apply here.
FWS jobs are great, since your employer can sometimes afford to keep you on beyond the hours you could have originally had--since the taxpayer picks up the tab for 75% of your wages. That said, pay doesn't tend to be spectacular, and you do have to be a FWS student to participate. FWS jobs on campus, like mine, also tend to tough to get unless you know where to look (the Career Center).


Part-time Jobs: This is a job and it is part time. That is all.
...
Not really. Would I do that to you? (It would be unprofessional.) The important thing to remember about these is that they pay, and they're in high demand. However, in the D.C. area, there's an enormous variety of potential employers who will be willing to take students on: everyone from the political parties to think-tanks, government agencies and retail chains are hiring every semester.


Full-time Jobs: If you can hold down a full-time job and still attend school full time, you are a beast! (This is a good thing to be.) While you'll definitely earn some $$bills, it could be challenging to keep your GPA up, not to mention difficult to qualify for most full-time positions without a diploma in hand. My understanding is that some places will hire before graduation, so if this is your kind of thing go for it.


Internships: This is like a job, only less prestigious and sometimes it doesn't pay. However, the great thing about these is that you aren't expected to actually know how to do the job you are technically assigned to. (This is what I'm aiming for right now, preferably with some kind of research-focused organization.) 


Volunteer Programs: Less structured than internships, these offer great opportunities to use your free time constructively. Given the wide income disparities within D.C., there are many ways to give back to the community that hosts us (and, in doing so, to become part of it yourself). One of the most popular is the elementary-education support program "D.C. Reads"; I've known a lot of people who have had great experiences doing this. GW also offers various community service programs, and we have a number of student organizations here which also do community service.


Look out for more on this over the next few days as I work more to prepare myself for my own job search. In the meantime, if you'll excuse me, I have a thirty-second self-congratulatory "pitch" to practice in front of the mirror.


Questions? Comments? Deep, unexpressed GW-related convictions trying to burst out of your subconscious? Let me know at ash1290@gwmail.gwu.edu.


--Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment