Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I'm Back!

Hey Guys!

I know, it's been forever since I've written anything. I'm sorry! It's because I was super busy in April coordinating Admitted Student Days and tours for all of you lovely people, and then all of a sudden it was exam time! But I'm back! And I'll be blogging a lot this summer, so you'll start hearing from me MUCH more often. Starting now. :-)

For the next few posts I want to write about my internship. You know, that thing where you get coffee for people in the office a couple hours a week. Except not at my internship. Not at any GW student's internship, really, but I can only tell you about mine.

I love my internship. And the reason for that is my company actually does a really good job of making me feel important! Exhibit A:
 
Me, having a title and a section on the "Team" page of our website
And it goes beyond just giving me an official title and letting me be recognized on the website - it continues through their actions, too. Are the things I do on a daily basis (tweeting, scouring through HR blogs, updating databases) always fascinating? No. But are they important to the company? Yes. And are they valuable to my learning? Absolutely.

For example, from having read over 200 human resources-related blog posts, I now know more about HR than I ever thought I would, being an engineer. And my work on our Twitter account has directly led to our followers growing to five times as many as we had when I first started! Even the blog posts I've written (yes, sometimes I blog for them too) have been pretty popular, and my boss makes a point of showing me the page views.

But the best part? I believe in what I do. Rather than getting paid the stipend they were originally planning on giving me, I'm actually going to be getting $500 worth of stock in the company. Now THAT'S cool.

Look for part two of me talking about how much I love my internship within the next few days. :-)

Until next time!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment