Friday, May 4, 2012

A Perfect "Reading Day"

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to describe to you how great reading days are. After classes end, GW usually has one or two reading days that provide time for students to relax, recuperate, and get ready to attack our final exams. I had one exam in my last class this past Monday, and two take home exams, so I only have 2 in-class finals to go. While these exams will both be hard, this semester will be much more manageable in terms of finals solely because I have 3 out of the way!

But back to Reading Days... GW really pulls out the bells and whistles to make sure people are relaxed, well fed, and getting outside! Even though I had a study room reservation in the library from 12 PM to 6 PM yesterday (students can reserve library rooms together- each student can reserve a 2 hour block), I still managed to take advantage of great things going on around campus:

- The Love Is Louder Block party is a movement that was started to remind us that 1 in 4 people have a mental illness, and to remind them that they are not alone in struggling with disease. It was started by Brittany Snow and MTV after several students around the country committed suicide in September 2010. The Block Party had cupcakes, a place to throw paint at canvas, lots of booths to help students talk about these issues, and pizza.


- My economics professor hosted a large office hours session where he went over students' problems as a group. I benefited from this experience and went to listen to more review for our exam.

- The GW Gelman Library is being renovated starting this summer to have an amazing entryway and new study space. Cafe Gelman is hosted every month with free snacks for students, and they amped it up during our reading day yesterday to allow us to have some expresso drinks prepared by local baristas, great snacks like chips, bananas, and granola bars, as well as some free travel mugs that are really nice. I'm glad I stopped by!

Hope everyone is enjoying the sun/the heat.. I for one am not wanting it to get any more humid! Why did I decide to stay in DC this summer?! :)
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment