Monday, May 2, 2011

Big Excitement in DC

I am sure you have all heard the big news from yesterday involving the death of Osama bin Laden's death by now. Last night in DC was absolutely crazy. When the news broke, I was checking my facebook and my news feed was completely taken over by people's statuses regarding the event, which is how I found out. Then, when my roommates and I learned that everyone we knew was going down to the White House to celebrate, we decided that we could not miss out on something so historic. So, as a result, we immediately stopped what we were doing and ran down to the White House. And by ran, I mean SPRINTED, even though I was in my sandals and one of my roommates was sporting her slippers. Public reactions here in DC were so contagious. Once we arrived at the White House, we were greeted with more people than I could count. The crowd was so enormous that I could not even see where it ended, and people were still flooding in. We were by no means the last people to arrive. Being in DC and at the White House during this was truly the most exciting thing that has happened since I began attending GW. I would say that majority of the crowd was GW students, but I know that students form nearby American University and other schools soon traveled in as well as some people dressed in business attire. There were camera crews everywhere and I had some friends who received texts and calls from people saying they saw them on CNN or some other news channel. In fact, one of my friends was browsing pictures today and spotted me in the crowd in a picture by the Huffington Post. Here is the link (I am a little to the left of center, wearing a navy blue sweatshirt with a #7 on the sleeve-you really can't miss me): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/02/osama-bin-laden-dead-celebrations_n_856380.html#s272629&title=Obama

Also, this is absolutely unbelievable: I am skyping with Vickie (my sister) tonight and she informs me that my roommates and I (well me only kind of) are on the front page of my hometown newspaper, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel! She saw it while at work today and freaked out! One of my roommates, MJ, is front and center, wearing a pinkish long sleeve fleece and my other roommate, Tina, is directly to her left (you can see her arm with her bracelets). And I am a bit more hidden. I am behind them and to the right of MJ, between her and the flag to her right (you can see my arm holding up m wallet and half of my face). What are the odds that my roommates (and me partially) made the front page of the newspaper all the way back home in Milwaukee! Absolutely crazy. And of course, it's only fitting that MJ is the one front and center and not me since it is my own newspaper. haha. Trying to find me is like playing where's Waldo, but it can be done. 

It was completely overwhelming and I do not think that I could describe the atmosphere adequately, so I think I will just let my photos and videos that I took speak for themselves. One of my favorite videos that I posted below is the "Cancel Finals" one and Geraldo Rivera, who is also in a picture below, commented something along those lines while interviewed, saying GW should cancel finals for today, which of course they didn't. But it was cool that he made a comment on our "Cancel Finals" chant.
My roommates
Me and some friends
HUGE crowd
I caught Geraldo Rivera coming out of the White House!
    Feel free to email me with any questions! cbgraf@gwmail.gwu.edu

-Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment