Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My Fleet Week Blog!

For the unordained, here's how it goes:  Fleet Week is a magical time each year when the incomparably lovely New York City hosts the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps.  It leads up to Memorial day, when the biggest events are held, but I went the day before with my cousin to avoid the REALLY bad crowds, though the touristy areas were packed as ever.  Times Square--oy.

We didn't take part in the traditional Fleet Week activities, like touring the ships or visiting the Intrepid museum, but we were able to see the Navy Band Northeast in Times Square!  That of course was fantastic, but other than that my day of Fleet Weeking was rather unconventional, other than multiple midshipmen sightings!

One highlight of the day was the Taiwanese cultural festival in Union Square.  I love the Union Square area, and I didn't know much about Taiwanese food or culture, so it was a great experience!  Plus, my cousin loves all things Asian.  And we were NOT disappointed.  The food was sooooooo good!  Bubble tea and this funky shaved ice thing and bamboo tamales!  Very different from anything I was used to, but really really yummy.  I'd highly recommend that you all go try Taiwanese fare.

I didn't take many pictures, but there was a guy at the festival doing sand drawings which was really interesting to me:


Also, a view of the park:


And that's really it!  My cousin took better pictures but she didn't post them yet and she probably won't for about six months, so--sorry!  Email if ya wanna, I promise I'll respond more promptly than I'm blogging these days!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

~~~Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment