Monday, March 19, 2012

The Great Senior Job Search

Good morning Readers,

Sorry it's been a while since my last post! I have been immersed in a job search to make sure I'm a productive member of society following graduation (as of tomorrow, two months away).

On the bright side, I have a lot of great experiences to share with anybody interested in how GW can give you a leg up in this important task. Here's a brief outline of how I've leveraged GW's resources over the past month.

1. Start with the basics: The GW Career Center was my first stop. I realized that, while targeted resumes are great, it really helps to make sure they're targeted to the right employers! I also sent in several cover letters for review and got some very helpful feedback form the Career Center staff through the 24-hour Resume Critique Service.








2. Research: Professors and employers have been very valuable in pointing me in the right directions, proving the concrete value of the community GW students enter. GW's employment database, GWork, is also a great place to find jobs ranging from summer house-sitting to full-time research positions. I can't count the number of hours I've spent researching prospective employers. Since GWork contains employer profiles, it's a great springboard and a valuable resource.

3. Apply: I'm proud to be able to list a GW education at the top of my resume. Particularly in International Affairs, there are very schools that can compare to the quality of the Elliott School's academic programs. The number of high-ranking officials who have chosen to associate themselves with GW bears this out. In the Obama Administration, this number includes the Under Secretary of the Navy, who taught at GW, and the Assistant Secreatary of State for Arms Control, an alumna. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell received an MBA from GW, and many flag and general officers in the U.S. Armed Forces have also graduated with GW degrees.

4. Follow-up: The time has come, and I have to make those follow-up calls this week! It's very exciting (though sometimes a little intimidating), but I'm confident that things will go well.

Adam

--

Coming soon: a history of the jobs I've held while at GW, and how a GW education can help you secure some great positions!

As always, feel free to send me any questions or comments at ash1290@gwmail.gwu.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment