Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Longevity Has It’s Place

To graduate from the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, every student has to take at least one performing arts class as part of the general curriculum requirements (although these requirements have changed significantly since I was a freshman, more here: http://columbian.gwu.edu/newsevents/spotlight/newgeneralcurriculumrequirementsannounced). To fulfill multiple requirements at one time, I choose a class that worked for the Columbian College as well as my major in political communications. The only class that fit this description was digital media production.

Although, I didn’t have much experience with filming and I never even tried editing, the course proved to be a perfect introduction to a skill that I hope to develop. In the class, I learned techniques on shooting and editing film as well as helpful hints on lighting and where to place the camera. GW has a top-notch computer center in the School for Media and Public Affairs as well as numerous professional cameras that can be loaned out.

I have always been interested in documentaries and I love to watch movies like “Bowling for Columbine” or anything made by Ken Burns. This summer I have decided to embark on an adventure through history with my grandparents tentatively titled “Longevity Has It’s Place.” I am really lucky to have all four grandparents and one great-grand parent alive, so I wanted to capture some of their memories and experiences on film. This project should be a great opportunity to spend time with them and learn about transformations they have seen in their lifetimes.

Hope Your Having a Great Summer!
-Paul
ps: feel free to email me if you have questions, pwaters@gwmail.gwu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment